Speaking of lettuce, this is no time to break out the fancy-schmancy artisan greens. This is a heavy dressing, so just chop up a head of iceberg lettuce and tell your inner food snob to shut it. Also, no need to add in much of anything else to the mix, although croutons always go well with thousand island.
It's a lot of work (plus you have to make it the day before). There are a lot easier thousand island recipes out there. But this one stands on its own, so it's worth it when you want to make something out of the ordinary. Because it makes so much, it also works well for pot-lucks where you get stuck "only" bringing salad.
- One 64-ounce jar of Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1 bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce (it only comes in one size)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped (use some of the greens)
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemons
- 1-1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I've also used white vinegar if it's all you have)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine mayonnaise and chili sauce in a large bowl. Mix well. Don't panic - I know it looks awful at this stage, but it will get better. Trust me on this one.
- Add in everything else and mix well. Doesn't it look better already? I told you so.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve. Don't forget the lettuce!