|My great-uncle Francis. He almost made it. Germany surrendered |
a couple months after his death. His parents had immigrated to the
Boston area from Italy. The original family name was Massino.
Monday, May 31, 2021
I don't apologize for what I say, and if you're not going to apologize they leave you alone because what they really want is the power of the apology. If they can't achieve that, they'll move on to victimize the next voice. --Adam Carolla
If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of. -Jordan Peterson
People confuse me. Food doesn't. --Anthony Bourdain
There should be special contempt for those who sit in safety and comfort, second-guessing at their leisure the split-second decisions that policemen had to make at the risk of their own lives. --Thomas Sowell
The healthiest people don't vaccinate, take zero medications, avoid fast food, exercise, and practice prayer and meditation. The establishment knows this. That's why they are targeting the unhealthy with a year of free donuts to get the vaccine. --Dr. Ben Tapper
There are two types of people in this world. People who think the government is looking out for their best interest, and those who think. --Nathan Fraser
If anyone says to me, 'This is what shouldn't be questioned!' Fuck that...no, let's question it. --Ricky Gervais
Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching our children. In an age of artificial intelligence, they are creating artificial stupidity. --Thomas Sowell
Note to self: You cannot control how other people receive your energy. Anything you do or say gets filtered through the lens of whatever personal shit they are going through at the moment. Which is not about you. Just keep doing your thing with as much integrity and love as possible. --Gina Carano
You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients. --Julia Child
Why is there so much effort being put into trying to find intelligent life on other planets, when there is a serious question about how much intelligent life there is here? --Thomas Sowell
"Finding yourself" is not really how it works, You aren't a ten-dollar bill in last winter's coat pocket. You are also not lost. Your true self is right there, buried under cultural conditioning, other people's opinions, and inaccurate conclusions you drew as a kid that became your beliefs about who your are. "Finding yourself" is actually returning to yourself. An unlearning, an excavation, a remembering who you were before the world got its hands on you. --Emily McDowell
I never thought I'd live to see the day when the right wing would become the cool ones giving the middle finger to the establishment, and the left wing becoming the sniveling self-righteous twatty ones going around shaming everyone. --John Lydon
You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right. --Rosa Parks
To sit alone or with a few friends, half-drunk under a full moon, you just understand how lucky you are; it's a story you can't tell. It's a story you almost by definition, can't share. I've learned in real time to look at those things and realize: I just had a really good moment. --Anthony Bourdain
Let me get this straight...Even if you get the shot...you still have to mask, social distance, and test negative to fly. It's experimental and they have no liability. Absolutely nothing changes. You might even test positive after it. Can't we just admit we're being played? --Judith Rose
We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and - in spite of True Romance magazines - we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely - at least, not all the time - but essentially, and finally alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness. --Hunter S. Thompson
The transformation of charity into legal entitlement has produced donors without love and recipients without gratitude. --Justice Antonin Scalia
I always want to give the victim a voice. One of my main tasks is to let the reader know the extent of the loss and what might have been if this person had been allowed to live. --Ann Rule
All that lunacy is temporary. It can't last. It's demented, so it has to defeat itself. You and I will just have to work a little harder for a while. That's all. --Ayn Rand
Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind. --Leonardo da Vinci
The people who wrote the Constitution were much smarter than the ones trying to abolish it. --Rep. Lauren Boebert
He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
With each new sunrise we are given the chance for a new beginning. Put your worries behind you, take a deep breath...smile and start again. --Unknown
The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity. --Rollo May
Everything the government is doing right now is designed to make you fat, weak, stupid, depressed, lazy, and reliant on crumbs they wipe off their plates. Health replaced by pharmaceuticals. Education replaced by programming. Hard work replaced by handouts. These people hate you. --Ian Smith
Sunday, May 30, 2021
Wednesday, May 26, 2021
This popped up on my Instagram feed this morning and I thought it would be helpful to get us out of our writing funk. And yeah, but "our" I mean "my". Not enjoying the dry spell.
Characters patiently waiting to spring to life, here I come!
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Monday, May 17, 2021
So, in response to this story, The Babylon Bee offered up this headline:
|Dateline: Yavin, LOL.|
This world has gotten so ridiculous, I kind of wish I was in a galaxy far, far away.
Friday, May 14, 2021
Monday, May 10, 2021
When I picked up my mail yesterday I noticed that one of the letters was from the Internal Revenue Service. Just dandy.
At least that's what it said on the envelope. When I got upstairs, I opened it up to see this:
Sunday, May 9, 2021
Paid a visit yesterday for Mother's Day. Crazy that it's already three years. On the 14th it will be ten years - a whole decade - since my Dad passed away, and that's even crazier.
The Brother and I took one of Mom and Dad's friends from high school with us. Her parents are buried at the same place, as is my godfather, so we visited them as well. Lots of people and decorations at the cemetery, which really is a beautiful place. Then we went to lunch and had a pretty nice time. It's a treat to be able to go inside a restaurant again. Who knew that would ever be a thing?
All in all a good day. Hoping those of you who still have your Moms around have a wonderful day with them!
Monday, May 3, 2021
In celebration of the film's 25th anniversary, Fathom Events presented Fargo on the big screen this weekend. You can also catch it on Wednesday evening.
- Fargo lost Best Picture, Director, Cinematography and Film Editing to The English Patient, and Supporting Actor to Cuba Gooding Jr. (Jerry Maguire).
- Despite being the main character, Marge Gunderson doesn't appear onscreen for a half hour, meaning she only appears in the last two-thirds of the film.
- Fargo was not based on a true story as claimed onscreen at the beginning of the film, but was inspired by the 1986 Connecticut murder case in which Richard Crafts murdered his wife Helle, then attempted to dispose of her body parts by running them through a rented woodchipper. However, there was no botched kidnapping involved in the Crafts case.
- Richard Jenkins and Bill Pullman were considered for Jerry. Macy originally auditioned for the role of the ill-fated state trooper, but campaigned hard for the role of Jerry.
- The Fargo body count is seven. Two were killed by Carl: Wade Gustafson and the parking booth operator. Five (the state trooper, the two people in the passing car, Jean Lundegaard, and Carl) were killed by Gaear.
- Norm's duck paintings were actually painted by "those Hautmanns" who are real-life brothers and friends of the Coens. They have won multiple wildlife stamp competitions.
- None of the movie was actually filmed in Fargo, North Dakota, and only one scene - the opening scene where Jerry is setting up his wife's kidnapping - is set there. All other scenes take place in Minnesota, except at the end of the film when Jerry is discovered near Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Fargo has a 94% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which means there were actually critics who gave it negative reviews. Jerks.
- The woodchipper now resides at the Fargo-Moorhead Visitor's Center. You can take your picture with it, in fact they'll give you a fake leg so you can re-create that scene.